Bienestar has been providing affordable housing since 1981. We operate 12 multifamily properties for more than 500 farmworker and working poor families. Our pathways from poverty philosophy strives to offer residents services and educational programs that help them enhance their lives.
Housing Development Corporation changed its name to Bienestar as it entered its 27th year of service to the community. “Bienestar” means well-being and was chosen to represent Bienestar’s deep commitment to the well-being of families and community.
We believe in the resilience and capacity of all human beings to help, change, adapt, and lead in their own lives, their families, neighborhoods, and communities.
We pursue our mission through:
- Quality, affordable housing located close to community services and mass transit
- Resident services offering adult, family, and youth programs and access to local resources to build a bridge toward greater economic self-sufficiency.
- Leadership development that promotes neighborhood participation, personal growth, appreciation of diversity, and human rights.
- Sustainable building practices and energy conservation.
- OON 2012 Stepping Stone Award
- Neighborhood Builder Award 2011 from Bank of America
- OON 2011 Thrive & Shine Award for Resident Services
- OHCS 2011 Excellence Award for Promotores Program
- 2008 Community Partner Agency of the Year – United Way
- 2002 Governor’s Livability Award
- 2004 Touching Lives and Communities Award, US Department of Labor for workforce training and fostering self-sufficiency
- 2005 Award for Housing Excellence, Oregon Housing and Community Services Department
- Promotores Program, a peer resident outreach program to develop community leadership by training resident leaders in outreach and professional development.
- Adult and Family Programs: Provide access to tools and resources to promote self sufficiency.
Youth Programs: Our Listos para la Vida/ Ready for Life programs are dedicated to promote academic success, from Ready for Kindergarten through Education Navigation.