Work for—and with—an engaged and progressive Board of Directors and staff in guiding Bienestar to achieve its mission of building housing, hope and futures for the well-being of working families and seniors. Our new Director will maintain relationships with partner organizations in property development, asset management, and resident services for our 507 resident families. Director will ensure development of services for Cornelius Place residents, 55 and older, a new service population for Bienestar, while building, diversifying, and stewarding financial resources for sustaining housing, services and the organization. Director will also oversee new social enterprise.
In its 36th year, Bienestar owns 12 multi-family properties and four single family homes, providing affordable housing for up to 507 families in western Washington County, Oregon. Ninety-three percent of our families are Latino, and most of our resident adults are mono-lingual in Spanish. Bienestar operates with a staff of 7 to 10, often including AmeriCorps VISTA or Jesuit volunteers. The Executive Director oversees three staff directly, and several professional contracted service providers. Bienestar is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors, including residents of our properties and Latino members of the community.
Bienestar is known for award winning services and educational programs for residents – “from cradle to career”. The backbone of the resident service program is our Promotores Program; thirteen peer outreach workers selected from the properties in which they live to serve their neighboring families.
Required Characteristics and Capabilities:
- Innovative and Entrepreneurial: With 1) a proven ability to create and implement alternative strategies and solutions and 2) an entrepreneurial approach to expanding financing strategies. Experience in securing resources from diverse sources. Demonstrated experience in motivating and engaging the board as partners in fundraising.
- Management Skills: Collaborative and communicative style of management that actively engages multi-cultural staff and volunteers. Provide inspirational leadership, guiding change and transition when needed. A proven leader with a track record of rallying a team around a shared vision and objective, and enjoying the process while delivering results. Comfortable with public presentations to promote the organization and its goals with a wide variety of stakeholders, internally and externally. Knowledge and experience with nonprofit marketing and communications.
- Business/Financial Acumen: Demonstrated knowledge and experience managing complex and varied financial transactions of a multi-faceted nonprofit (e.g. culturally specific services in affordable housing.
- Housing Knowledge: Familiar with regulations and requirements related to the asset management and compliance issues of affordable housing.
- Provide Face of Bienestar to Partners and Community: Experience establishing and sustaining relationships with key government agencies and elected officials, as well as community agencies and business leaders. Demonstrated ability in building partnerships in the community to achieve organizational goals.
- Cultural Competency: Sensitivity and understanding of the Latino culture and the resident Latino families.
Additional Knowledge and Capabilities Desired:
- At least 5 years of nonprofit management experience, including fund raising
- Experience working in a culturally specific organization
- General knowledge of affordable housing finance and asset management
View the full job description here.
Please submit 1) a cover letter that includes a concise overview of how your previous experience qualifies you to become Executive Director of Bienestar 2) a complete resume, and Send as attachments to Karen Shawcross at email@example.com, with “Bienestar Executive Director” in the subject line.
All inquiries will be handled confidentially.
Applications due April 30, 2017.
Bienestar is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on religious affiliation, marital status, physical or mental disability, national origin, citizenship, age, race, color, creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, political affiliation, status as a veteran, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Bienestar will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.